Who is at the Table?
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in Waste and Recycling
August 27, 10am-12pm PST / 1-3pm EST
Presented by Northern California Recycling Association (NCRA) in coordination with the National Recycling Coalition (NRC) Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Council, the NCRA DEI Committee and the Ohio Recycling Coalition. Produced by Portia Sinnott, NCRA Vice President and Zero Waste USA Program Director.
Are we leading the way or stumbling behind? Does anyone have a handle on the statistics? Has your business, agency or non-profit adopted DEI initiatives? Are they actively being implemented and tracked? Are the benefits clear to all involved? What factors are being addressed – age, race, gender identity, sexual orientation, class, ability, language and/or cultural background? Does your workforce reflect these commitments – in front of the house: management/decision makers, as well as the back of the house: workforce/membership? Are there efforts underway to boost workforce training and advancement?
This webinars objectives are to motivate the waste and recycling industry to actively explore and discuss DEI issues and initiatives, and inspire organizations as well as individuals to create their own DEI mandates. We will address the various aspects of the topic via succinct introductory presentations followed by commentary, a robust intra-panel discussion and a lively Q&A session! The webinar slides and resources will be made available to all attendees.
- Moderator and Commentator, Arley Owens, Executive Director, Ohio Recycling Coalition, former NRC Board Member, organizing member of the NRC DEI Council, and former Chair of the NRC Communications Committee and the Minorities Recycling Council
- DEI Introduction and Industry Situational Report, Sophia Huda, Vice President, Ohio Recycling Coalition, member of the Manhattan Solid Waste Advisory Board and Adjunct Sustainability Professor, The New School, New York
- Developing Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Mandates, Faye Christoforo, Executive Director, Post-Landfill Action Network (PLAN)
- Safe and Sustainable Recycling, Alina Bekkerman, NCRA Board Member and DEI Committee Co-Chair and San Francisco Conservation Corps, Zero Waste Consultant and Felisia Castañeda, NCRA Member and DEI Committee Co-Chair, and Recology San Francisco Environmental Learning Center Supervisor
- Moving Forward Together, Abrilla Robinson, Vice President, Ohio Recycling Coalition’s and Chair of the Ohio Recycling Coalition’s newly created Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Council. Past President of the National Recycling Coalition Minorities Recycling Council and organizing member of the new NRC DEI Council.
# # #