July 30, 2020
Dear National Zero Waste Conference Registrants,
Thank you for your patience during these unprecedented times. The National Recycling Coalition (NRC) explored numerous rescheduling options for the National Zero Waste Conference, and decided that we can no longer reliably plan on convening this Conference in-person in March 2021. Instead, we are organizing an All Virtual Conference December 1-3, and rescheduling additional content into a Webinar Series that will begin in late August. Each event will be recorded and be available to registrants after the fact.
NRC will use Remo on-line platform to host the Conference, and Zoom for webinar presentations. Remo allows attendees a high degree of interaction for small group and one-on-one networking (e.g. in a Virtual Exhibit Hall). In Remo, attendees are presented with a virtual floor map with multiple “tables” labeled for exhibitors, table topics for small group discussions, or left open for informal-one-one conversations. Attendees can move between tables and see everyone else who is “in the room”. When the user moves to a table, they join a live session that looks like Zoom with everyone else at the table. Here is a screen shot of a sample floor map. Take Remo for a spin via YouTube or on the Remo website visit the Remo 101 page or sign up for a Guided Tour.
We restructured the original Program to have all 32 hours of content fit into one of the two components:
National Zero Waste Conference, December 1-3, 2020. (December 1 and 2 are based on the presentations originally planned for the March morning plenaries.)
The Conference will feature:.
- Zero Waste Businesses on December 1, 2020
- Zero Waste Communities on December 2, 2020
- The National Recycling Congress on December 3, 2020 (with sessions from the original event that would be of greatest interest to members of NRC and affiliated state recycling organizations, such as recycling, composting, buy recycled, single use plastics and product policies)
National Zero Waste Virtual Conference Webinar Series, a seven session series running August 27 through November 19, 2020 including remaining content from the original event. Details shortly.
Needed Next Steps
Since NRC has changed to an all-virtual conference, registrants are asked to confirm whether to transfer their registration to the new arrangement:
A. Full Conference Registrants *
- Option 1: Roll over registration to Virtual Conference. This allows you to attend all of or any portion of the Virtual Conference and Webinar series. You are entitled to receive a 50% rebate.
- Option 2: Cancel registration. This entitles you to a full refund less a 20% administrative fee.
B. Single Day Registrants *
- Option 1: Roll over to corresponding program. Default: Original March 18 registration transfers to December 1; March 19 registration transfers to December 2. This includes access to all webinars. You are also eligible for a 50% rebate on your registration fee.
- Option 2: Upgrade or adjust registration. You can choose to switch your single day registration to a different corresponding day, or apply the value of the rebate toward upgrading for the full conference.
- Option 3: Cancel registration. This entitles you to a full refund less a 20% administrative fee.
All original paid registrants are eligible for some form of rebate or refund, but must complete the confirmation form before October 1. After that date, the rebate for rolling over registrations will decrease to 20%, and the refund for canceling will be subject to a 50% administrative fee until November 13. After that date, their will be no refunds or rebates.
* Why Donate?
We encourage you to donate the value of your rebate or refund to NRC. Donating to NRC will help support NRC organizing this Conference. The NRC is a 501c3 non-profit organization that also works on other policies and programs advancing recycling and sustainable materials management. To donate this value, simply indicate your preference when completing the confirmation form.
Conference Attendees Directory and Google Group
In addition, the NRC is developing a Conference Attendees Directory to facilitate registrants connecting with each other. If you plan to take part in the conference, please use the same form to tell us if you want to opt-out of the Conference Directory.
A Google group has also been created to encourage communications among National Zero Waste Conference attendees. Please click here to join or look out for an invitation to the Google group that will be sent this summer.
Thank you for your continuing support during this challenging time! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions.
Yours for Zero Waste!
Leslie Lukacs & Alec Cooley
NRC Conference Co-Chairs